Here are some tips about what to do and what NOT to do during a consultation with a new client:
1. Make the clients comfortable by greeting them in a fun and energetic manner
2. Confidently suggest what will look good on the client. (The client can then let you know what she or he thinks of your suggestions. Most of the time they’ll be happy with what you suggest.)
1. Be distracted by the phone.
2. Insult the client’s hair.
3. Confuse the client with hairstylist lingo.
Learn some ways to deal with dissatisfied clients:
About 95% of complaints can be traced back to a misunderstanding during the consultation.
Veteran hairdresser Julie Eldrett offers these suggestions (which you can remember by the acronym LAST) for handling client complaints:
L – Listen – And show you are listening to them. A – Apologize – You may not think the client has a real problem, but acknowledge that she really feels there is a problem. S – Solve – Do what you can to get the client’s hair the way she or he wants. T – Thank – Let the client know that you appreciate the opportunity to make the situation right.